An Oxytocin Checklist
This checklist is one of the most commonly used for oxytocin protocols. In research*, its use was associated with a significant reduction in NICU admissions and primary cesarean rates.
Criteria for continuation of oxytocin: In each 30 minute segement, each of the following elements must be seen:
- At least one acceleration of 15 BPM x 15 seconds in 30 minutes or moderate variability for 10 of the previous 30 minutes.
- No more than one late deceleration.
- No more than two variable decelerations exceeding 60 seconds in duration and decreasing greater than 60 BPM from the baseline.
- No more than five uterine contractions in 10 minutes for any 20 minute interval in the segment.
- No two contractions greater than 120 seconds in duration.
- If IUPC is in place, MVU must calculate less than 300 mm Hg and the baseline resting tone must be less than 25 Hg.
* Clark SL, Meyers JA, Frye DK, Garthwaite T, Lee AJ, Perlin JB. Recognition and response to electronic fetal heart rate patterns: impact on newborn outcomes and primary cesarean delivery rate in women undergoing induction of labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Apr;212(4):494.e1-6